- SOLIDWORKS and SW PDM System Requirements
- Preparing for Installation
- How to Download SOLIDWORKS
- SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager (.exe)
- How to Request a Manual Download for SOLIDWORKS
- How To Order A SOLIDWORKS Media Kit
- Installing – A Complete Overview to Managing a CAD Environment
- SOLIDWORKS Hardware Guide
- SOLIDWORKS Individual Installation
- How to Modify Your SOLIDWORKS Installation
- How to Repair Your SOLIDWORKS Installation
- Performing a Clean Uninstall
- How to Quickly Update SOLIDWORKS to a Newer Service Pack
- How to Transfer a Standalone License
- Install Multiple Versions
- SOLIDWORKS Activation Wizard: How to Transfer SOLIDWORKS License
- SOLIDWORKS Network Licensing
- How to Upgrade SolidNetWork License Manager
- Moving from SOLIDWORKS Standalone to Network Licenses
- Adding License to an Existing SolidNetwork License Manager
- Use Options File to Reserve Licenses for Specific Users
- SOLIDWORKS SolidNetWork License Order Guide
- How to Reactivate SOLIDWORKS Network Licenses
- How to Move the SOLIDWORKS SolidNetWork License Manager to a New Server
- SOLIDWORKS SolidNetwork License Manager Overview
- How to Install the SolidNetwork License Manager
- Reserve Licenses with Options File
- SOLIDWORKS Keyboard Shortcuts
- SOLIDWORKS Copy Settings Wizard
- Accessing Xpress Tools
- How To Tell Who Has a SOLIDWORKS File Open
- How to Use SOLIDWORKS Pack and Go
- SOLIDWORKS Administration Overview
- Rebuild Types and How They Work
- Understanding SOLIDWORKS Settings and Templates
- How to create SOLIDWORKS Part, Assembly, and Drawing Templates
- Utilizing Cloud Storage with SOLIDWORKS
- Automate File Exports with Task Scheduler
- Troubleshooting Weldment Cut List Consolidation
- SOLIDWORKS Multi-sheet Custom Properties Source
- How to Use Save As with References
- How to Troubleshoot Graphical Issues
- PDM How to Work in Off-line Mode
- How to Use PDM Move Tree
- How to Use PDM Copy Tree
- PDM - What are Private State Files?
- PDM Search Operators
- How to Set PDM to Details View in Windows File Explorer
- SOLIDWORKS PDM Search Results – Which Configuration’s Variables are Displayed?
- PDM Automatic Login Options
- Preview Tab Options
- How To Overwrite Latest PDM Version
- Difference Between Versions and Revisions
- How to export search results from PDM
- PDM Administrators: Roles and Responsibilities
- PDM License Type Matrix
- PDM Server Recommendations
- PDM Backup Procedures
- How to Reset Your SOLIDWORKS PDM Admin Password
- How to Control Get Version Commands
- Adding a PDM Vault View with a Windows Azure Active Directory Account
- PDM Major Minor Revisions
- How to Set Revision Manually in PDM
- How to Set Up Revision Tables
- PDM - What are Version Free Variables?
- PDM How to Rollback a File to a Previous Version
- PDM Setting Cache Options Automatically
- How to Change PDM Date Formatting
- How to Delete a PDM User Completely
- How to Reset Web2 Authentication in IIS
- SOLIDWORKS PDM Connectivity Test Tool
- How to Configure the SOLIDWORKS PDM Local HOSTS file to Resolve Server Name
- Create Local Vault View Shortcut
- How to Configure a Computer to be a PDM Task Host
- How to Setup a Dedicated Unattended Task Host
- How to use PDM Database Upgrade Tool
- Collect Support Information for PDM
- Update Credentials for PDM Archive Server
- Update Credentials for PDM Database Server
- Creating and Using PDM Labels
- Troubleshooting PDM Notifications
- PDM Cold Storage and How To Use It
- How to set the PDM Preview Tab Viewer
- How to reset the SQL password for the PDM Vault SQL Server
- SOLIDWORKS Strategies for Using the File Version Upgrade Tool (FVUT)
- How To Relocate An Existing SOLIDWORKS Vault View To Another Drive
- How to manually remove a disconnected PDM Vault View
- How To Relocate Vault Archive Folders To Another Drive
- How to Setup Toolbox in PDM - SOLIDWORKS
- Show all articles ( 20 ) Collapse Articles
- Create Local Vault View
- How to Delete or Recreate a Local Vault View
- Create Local PDM Vault View Using .cvs File
- How to Change PDM Client License Type after Installation
- PDM File Version Upgrade Tool
- PDM Upgrade Checklist
- How to Upgrade SOLIDWORKS PDM Add-ins
- SOLIDWORKS PDM: Moving Server Components - Checklist
- How to Install SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard
- SOLIDWORKS PDM / Manage Installation Guide (PDF)
- Install Microsoft SQL 2019 for PDM Professional
- How to Install PDM Client Software
- Change SQL Server License
- How to Upgrade SOLIDWORKS Toolbox in PDM - AUTOMATICALLY
- How to Upgrade SOLIDWORKS Toolbox in PDM - MANUALLY
- Windows Firewall Exceptions for SOLIDWORKS Network Based Products
- Why Users Need Local Admin Rights to Install SOLIDWORKS
- How to Run SOLIDWORKS with Administrator Permissions
- Blank SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager - Resolution
- SOLIDWORKS RX - The Ultimate CAD Diagnostic Tool
- SOLIDWORKS Safe Modes
- How to Force SOLIDWORKS to Use Your Graphics Card
- How to Ensure that You are Running a SOLIDWORKS Certified Graphics Card Driver
- Troubleshooting SOLIDWORKS Installation Issues
- Resolution to Common File Location Errors
- Non-Matching Internal ID
- Could not obtain a license for SOLIDWORKS CAM. Invalid (inconsistent) license key
- “The Source Folder Is Not Versioned Properly…” Error when Modifying Serial Number
- “A Newer Version of This Product is Already Installed” Error when Installing SOLIDWORKS
- "Error obtaining License (-85, 147, 0)"
- SOLIDWORKS Search Routine Order
- How to Restore Dismissed SOLIDWORKS Messages
- Viewing SOLIDWORKS Configurations in eDrawings
- How to Modify the Reference/Update Dialog Dismissal Time
- SOLIDWORKS Educational Resources
- How to Change the SOLIDWORKS Language
- Restore Your File Associations
- How To Reset SOLIDWORKS Registry
- Resolve "Sheet Format Could Not Be Located"
- How To Correct The "Default Templates Are Not Valid" Error
- Correcting foreign language characters in the FeatureManager Tree
- How to Collect CXPAs
- Show all articles ( 12 ) Collapse Articles
- Simulation Meshing Guide
- How to Duplicate and Reuse Simulation Study Data
- Setting Up Default Options for SOLIDWORKS Simulation Studies
- Which Type of Elements Should I Use?
- Is SOLIDWORKS Simulation Accurate?
- Getting Started with Simulation
- The Basics of Setting Up a Study in Simulation
- Do I Need Non-linear Simulation?
- Submodeling Studies – The What, Why, & How of Using Them in SOLIDWORKS Simulation
- What To Do When you get the “Excessive Displacement” Warning in SOLIDWORKS Simulation
- How to Create Temperature Dependent Custom Materials in SOLIDWORKS Simulation
- How to Export Flow Simulation Results to Import into FEA
How to Transfer a Standalone License
How to Transfer a Standalone SOLIDWORKS License
SOLIDWORKS Standalone licenses (serial numbers beginning with 9000…) use single machine activation locked to a specific computer and internal hardware ID. The license can be transferred to another computer by deactivating on one and then activating on another computer using the process below. You can also watch a video explanation at the end of the article.
A few scenarios which require a SOLIDWORKS license to be transferred:
- Switching between desktop and laptop.
- Purchasing a new computer.
- Before making a hardware change, such as a new hard drive.
- Before reformatting your existing computer’s operating system.
If you uninstalled SOLIDWORKS without deactivating, you can still download and install just the SOLIDWORKS Activation Wizard Application to deactivate on that computer so the license can be activated on another computer. There is a video at the end of the article if you prefer that format.
1 Locate your SOLIDWORKS Serial Number
2 Launch Product Activation
Depending on the version of SOLIDWORKS installed, the menu locations in the help menu may vary slightly.
- SOLIDWORKS 2020 and newer, select Help > Licenses > Deactivate…
- Note the Help menu is now the “?” inside a circle in the upper right corner.
- SOLIDWORKS 2016 to 2019, select Help > Deactivate Licenses…
- SOLIDWORKS 2015 and prior, select Help > Transfer Licenses…
- SOLIDWORKS 2020 and newer, select Help > Licenses > Deactivate…
3 Select Products to Transfer
In the upper section of the newly opened SOLIDWORKS Product Activation dialog, select which product(s) to transfer from the list, or choose the ‘Select All’ button to choose all products.
4 Activation Details
In the lower section of the dialog, choose how you would like to deactivate. ‘Automatic over the internet’ is the recommended method. If the computer does not have direct access to the internet, follow the instructions given to create an activation file to send via email on another computer.
Note that some versions of SOLIDWORKS Product Activation require an email address to be entered to proceed. If required, enter your email address, and click Next.
5 Confirm Results
The ‘Automatic over the internet (recommended)’ activation method will finish the deactivation after a few moments and provide a message that it has been successful. Click Finish to close the dialog. SOLIDWORKS will also close automatically, as it is no longer activated.
For the ‘Manually via e-mail’ activation method, you will be prompted to save a Request file (text file). Copy this file to a computer with internet access and attach it to an email addressed to email@example.com. Within 10 minutes, you should receive an email back with a Response file from their automated system. Copy this file back to the SOLIDWORKS computer. Run through the same Manual Deactivation process but click ‘Open’ to load the Response file. This will complete the deactivation process.
If deactivation fails, collect the license information and the result message to reach out for support.
6 Activate on Another Computer
Install SOLIDWORKS on another computer or modify a current installation to switch the serial number to the one you just deactivated.
When you launch SOLIDWORKS on a computer where the software is not currently activated, the system will display the SOLIDWORKS Product Activation wizard as in Step 2. Once the activation is completed, the dialog will display the products and their associated expiration dates.
Transfer a License (2018 and prior)
Transfer a License (2019+)
If you have any questions or experience unexpected behavior, feel free to reach out to MLC CAD Systems technical support.