How to Install 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Connected
How to Install 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Connected
3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Connected is software installed on your desktop which is connected to the 3DEXPERIENCE platform. It provides access to SOLIDWORKS CAD and all the 3DEXPERIENCE services and apps that you are entitled to use based on your role.
This guide will step through the installation process for SOLIDWORKS Connected. Prefer to watch a video instead? Skip to the video at the bottom of this article
The 3DEXPERIENCE platform uses named user licensing. A license is assigned when an administrator grants a role to you. A role determines what 3DEXPERIENCE services and apps you are entitled to use. You can use your license on any device. The license is not tied to a particular machine.
- 3DEXPERIENCE platform credentials (a role which includes 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS).
- Internet connection and a web browser.
- Computer must meet SOLIDWORKS minimum system requirements.
- You cannot install and run SOLIDWORKS Connected on a machine that also has a traditional desktop version of SOLIDWORKS 2022 or the Design for SOLIDWORKS app installed (aka SOLIDWORKS Connector). However, you can install and run SOLIDWORKS Connected if you have SOLIDWORKS 2021 or an earlier version of traditional SOLIDWORKS on your machine.
If you have questions about prerequisites of previous installed SOLIDWORKS versions, feel free to reach out to MLC CAD Systems technical support prior to installing.
When you install SOLIDWORKS Connected for the first time, the 3DEXPERIENCE platform prompts you to download and install the 3DEXPERIENCE Launcher. The Launcher is a background service that helps native apps, such as SOLIDWORKS Connected, access the platform. The Launcher icon shows in the Windows System Tray after it installs.
3DEXPERIENCE Cloud Eligibility Tool
Either prior to starting or when prompted during the installation, we highly recommend downloading and running the 3DEXPERIENCE Cloud Eligibility Tool to check the compatibility of your environment with the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to ensure you are ready to run 3DEXPERIENCE platform on your computer.
Installing 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Connected
- Log into the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform. You can log in with your existing SOLIDWORKS ID if it uses the same email address as the email address that your administrator used to invite you to the 3DEXPERIENCE platform. Otherwise, you need to create new 3DEXPERIENCE credentials.
- On the top bar of the 3DDashboard:
- Click the Compass
- Under Me, click 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS <version>.
- Click SOLIDWORKS Connected.
- The platform will display Application is Not Installed. Click Install Now.
- In the Welcome to 3DEXPERIENCE Launcher dialog, click ‘Download 3DEXPERIENCE Launcher’.
Note, if 3DEXPERIENCE Experience Launcher is already installed, you can skip to step 5.
- Locate the downloaded file 3DEXPERIENCELauncher and double-click to install.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation. We recommend that you leave the file locations as default (C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\3DEXPERIENCE Launcher). Click ‘Finish’ to close the 3DEXPERIENCE Launcher Setup.
- In the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform, click ‘Continue’ to proceed with installing SOLIDWORKS Connected.
- In the 3DEXPERIENCE Installation web dialog, choose which roles to install:
- Install All Granted Roles install all roles granted to the user, e.g., SOLIDWORKS Connected, SOLIDWORKS Visualize Connected, DraftSight Connected, etc.
- Install All Roles Containing SOLIDWORKS Connected only installs the roles which contain SOLIDWORKS Connected.
- The 3DEXPERIENCE Installation web dialog will close, and Windows will display Launching installer message.
- Once the Windows installer for 3DEXPERIENCE opens, on the second screen of the installation, we highly recommend downloading and running the 3DEXPERIENCE Cloud Eligibility Tool to check the compatibility of your environment with the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to ensure you are ready to run 3DEXPERIENCE platform on your computer.
Review each section, clicking Next to proceed with the installation. We recommend that you leave the file locations as default.
Install directory C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\SOLIDWORKS 3DEXPERIENCE
Toolbox directory C:\Users\Public\Documents\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS Data
On the ‘Installation has enough information to start’, click ‘Install>’ to begin.
The installation process will change from Executing Application to Downloading Files and Installing Files several times as each component is installed. At the time this guide was written, the installation does not display which component is being installed. So, you will notice the various status indicators complete and restart multiple times. This is normal and expected behavior.
- Once the installation program has finished on your computer, click Close.
- ‘Installation Success’ will now display in the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform at the bottom of the screen.
- Return to the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform, under Me, and select SOLIDWORKS Connected. This time the platform will recognize SOLIDWORKS Connected is installed and the 3DEXPERIENCE Launcher will launch the software on your desktop. The 3DEXPERIENCE Platform status will display ‘Launching SOLIDWORKS Connected’ and then several seconds later you will see the SOLIDWORKS Connected splash screen appear.
- Wait for SOLIDWORKS Connected to open fully. In the SOLIDWORKS Task Pane for 3DEXPERIENCE, click the ‘Accept All’ button to accept all cookies.
- You are now ready to design in 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Connected!
Work in Offline Mode
To learn more about how to work without an internet connection for up to 30-days, review our guide How to Work Offline in 3DEXPERIENCE.
Install 3DEXPERIENCE Software (Video Guide)
Get help from our team by Calling us at 800-364-1652 x 2. You can also get assistance by clicking the Technical Support button or the Email Our Experts button below.