- Show all articles ( 12 ) Collapse Articles
Copy and Paste as Reference in PDM
Copy and Paste as Reference
A unique feature to SOLIDWORKS PDM is the ability to link a non-SOLIDWORKS FILE (Excel, Word, PDF, TXT…) to a SOLIDWORKS or other file type using the Paste as Reference option. Pasted references will then display in the Contains and Bill of Materials tab when the parent file is selected.
A few examples:
- A .JPEG can be pasted as a reference to a .SLDPRT file to indicate a specific Pantone color as a product appearance reference.
- A material spec sheet can be pasted as a reference to a file with FEA analysis.
- An Engineering Change Order (ECO) can be pasted as a reference to one or more associated files.
How to Paste as Reference
- Right-click the parent file and select Check Out.
- Navigate into the vault and select the file(s) to reference.
- Right-click the file(s) and select Copy.
- Right-click the parent file where you want to create the reference to and select Paste as Reference.
- In the Create File References dialog box, enable these options as needed and click OK.
- Add Reference, creates a reference to the file.
- Show in Bill of Materials, includes the file in the parent file BOM.
- Check-in the parent file(s) to update the PDM database with the references.
The pasted reference files will appear under the Contains and Bill of Materials tabs of the local vault view when the parent file is selected.
How to Remove a Pasted Reference
To remove a pasted reference as a reference, check out the parent file and activate the Contains tab.
- Check out the parent file.
- Choose the ‘Custom References’ icon in the upper right menu.
- De-select the ‘Referenced’ or ‘Show in Bill of Materials’ options.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Check in the parent file to update the PDM database with the reference change.
Get help from our team by Calling us at 800-364-1652 x 2. You can also get assistance by clicking the Technical Support button or the Email Our Experts button below.